Are you looking to get an edge in the fast-paced and ever-evolving world of finance? With a degree in finance, you can arm yourself with the knowledge and skills required to pursue opportunities and remain competitive.
If diving into higher education feels intimidating, there are several convenient online finance degree programs now available that offer flexibility and quality coursework.
This guide will discuss everything you need to know about pursuing a degree program online from financial literacy topics to cost considerations – arming you with the best information for making your choice.
16 Best Online Finance Degree Programs [2023 Guide]
A degree in finance can open up many doors of opportunity and lead to a successful career. The best online finance degree programs offer an excellent education with flexible options for working adults, so you can continue your career while earning a degree.
Here are 16 of the best online finance degree programs available for the class of 2023:
1. University of Florida:
The Warrington College of Business is proud to offer an extensive Master’s program in Finance. Our comprehensive curriculum covers a wide range of topics, including:
- Financial Markets and Institutions: Gain a deep understanding of the dynamics and functions of financial markets, and explore the role of various financial institutions in the global economy.
- Investments: Delve into the world of investments and learn about asset valuation, portfolio management, risk assessment, and strategies for maximizing returns.
- Corporate Finance: Learn the principles and practices of corporate finance, including capital budgeting, financial analysis, and long-term financing decisions.
- International Finance: Explore the complexities of international financial markets, exchange rates, and cross-border investment opportunities, and develop the skills to navigate the global financial landscape.
Our Master’s in Finance program provides students with a solid foundation in financial theory and practical knowledge, preparing them for successful careers in various sectors of the finance industry. Join us and embark on a transformative learning journey that will equip you with the skills and expertise to excel in the dynamic world of finance.
2. Penn State University:
Penn State’s Smeal College of Business offers a Master’s in Financial Services program that equips students with the knowledge and expertise to excel as financial services professionals. Our rigorous curriculum emphasizes both theoretical and practical aspects of finance, providing a comprehensive exploration of topics such as investments, banking, risk management, asset pricing, and derivatives.
The program is designed to equip students with the skill set required to solve complex financial problems in sophisticated business environments, develop effective strategies for managing financial risk, and master the use of advanced analytical tools. Through our online learning environment, you’ll be able to interact with faculty members and engage with fellow students from around the world. In addition, our program offers flexible scheduling options, allowing students to complete their degree program on a part-time or full-time basis.
3. University of Southern California:
The USC Marshall School of Business offers an online Master’s in Financial Engineering designed for experienced professionals with backgrounds in computer science and engineering who are looking to pursue careers in the financial sector. This program provides students with a comprehensive background in financial engineering, quantitative finance, and AI-driven trading strategies.
By participating in this program, students will gain an understanding of the fundamentals of algorithmic trading platforms and develop advanced skills for programming and data analysis. Our online learning platform also allows you to work closely with faculty to hone your skills in machine learning and artificial intelligence as well as develop strategies for portfolio optimization and risk management.
4. University of Texas at Austin:
The McCombs School of Business at UT Austin offers a Professional Master’s in Finance (PMF) program that can be completed entirely online. This 24-month program provides students with an intensive exploration of finance topics, including equity investments, derivative securities, corporate finance, and more.
Throughout the program, students will gain hands-on experience with industry-relevant software tools as well as an understanding of how to develop financial models. Our online platform ensures that this learning is interactive and engaging – allowing students to collaborate with peers from around the world in virtual group discussions. Students who complete this program are prepared for a wide range of careers in the finance sector.
5. University of Wisconsin-Madison:
The University of Wisconsin-Madison offers a Master of Science in Applied Security Analysis. This program is designed for students who are looking to develop their quantitative skills and gain an understanding of financial markets, security analysis, and portfolio management.
Throughout the course, students will learn how to analyze investment opportunities, apply capital market concepts to individual investments, and develop sophisticated portfolio management strategies. The online format allows students to participate in coursework from anywhere in the world and also provides access to a wide range of digital resources. Upon completion of this program, students will have mastered emerging finance technologies and developed their skills in financial modeling.
6. University of California Los Angeles:
The University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) offers a Certificate Program in Financial Planning. This seven-course program provides students with an overview of the financial planning process, from portfolio management to retirement planning.
Students will gain skills and knowledge in investment management, risk management, estate planning, insurance and taxation. The program also includes hands-on experience with financial planning tools and software. Through the online format, students can interact with both instructors and peers through video conferencing and virtual breakout rooms for collaboration. Upon completion of this program, graduates will have the skills to become successful financial advisors.
7. Northwestern University:
Northwestern University offers an Online Master of Science in Investment Management & Financial Analysis (IMFA). This program provides students with the skills and knowledge to make sound investment decisions in a constantly changing market.
The curriculum is designed for those pursuing careers across multiple sectors, including private equity, hedge funds, asset management, banking, and consulting. Students will gain an understanding of modern portfolio theory as well as access to advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning. The IMFA program also includes hands-on experience with portfolio management tools, trading simulations, and real-world case studies. Upon completion of this program, graduates will be prepared for a successful career in the investment management industry.
8. University of Pennsylvania:
The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania offers an Online Master of Business Administration in Investment Management. This program provides students with a broad-based education in finance and economics to help them understand the complexities of investment markets.
The curriculum is designed for those seeking to make strategic investment decisions within the asset management industry. Students will gain an understanding of financial statement analysis, portfolio construction, risk management, and alternative investments such as cryptocurrencies. The MBA program also includes courses in quantitative analysis, behavioral finance, and private equity. Upon completion of this program, students will be equipped to become successful portfolio managers and financial advisors.
9. University of Southern California:
The Marshall School of Business at the University of Southern California offers an Online Master of Science in Financial Engineering (MSFE). This program provides students with a comprehensive overview of financial analysis, engineering, and data science to help them build a strong foundation in the field.
The curriculum is designed for those looking to develop their quantitative skillset with an emphasis on risk management and portfolio construction. Students will gain an understanding of topics such as capital markets, derivatives pricing models, asset allocation, and algorithmic trading. The program also includes courses in programming, data analytics, and machine learning. Upon completion of this program, students will be equipped to become successful traders and quantitative analysts.
10. Northwestern University:
The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University offers an Online Master of Science in Data Science & Analytics (MSDSA) program that equips students with the skillset necessary to excel as data-driven decision-makers in the finance industry.
The program’s comprehensive curriculum is designed to cater to individuals seeking to enhance their analytics and programming capabilities, with a strong emphasis on quantitative analysis. Students will delve into various topics, including:
- Financial modeling
- Machine learning
- Natural language processing
- Predictive analytics
Additionally, the program covers essential subjects such as ethical computing, data visualization, statistical inference, and data security. By completing this program, students will be well-prepared to thrive as quantitative analysts in the dynamic field of finance.
11. University of California – San Diego:
The Rady School of Management at the University of California – San Diego offers an Online Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program. This program equips students with a comprehensive overview of quantitative methods used in modern finance through a tailored curriculum that focuses on deepening analytics skillset, with an emphasis on risk assessment and portfolio optimization.
The program covers a range of topics, including:
- Financial markets and their dynamics
- Derivatives pricing models and their applications
- Asset allocation strategies for optimal investment decisions
- Algorithmic trading techniques and their implementation
In addition, students will gain expertise in essential analytical tools, including:
- Predictive analytics for future performance forecasting
- Data mining methods for extracting valuable insights
- Machine learning algorithms for automated decision-making
- Data visualization techniques for effective communication of findings
Upon completion of this program, students will be well-prepared to pursue successful and rewarding careers in the finance industry, equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to navigate the complexities of today’s financial landscape.
12. Colorado State University:
The College of Business at Colorado State University offers an Online Master of Science in Finance (MSF), a program designed to provide students with an interdisciplinary approach to financial management and analysis.
- The curriculum of this program is tailored to those seeking a comprehensive understanding of finance, with a specific focus on corporate financial decision-making.
- Students will have the opportunity to explore various topics in finance, including capital budgeting, portfolio management, and derivatives.
- The program also includes courses in investment analysis, global financial markets, and risk management to enhance students’ knowledge and skills in these areas.
- Upon completion of this program, students will be well-prepared to pursue rewarding careers as financial analysts or strategists, equipped with the necessary expertise and insights to excel in the field of finance.
13. University of Miami:
The School of Business Administration at the University of Miami offers an Online Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program that provides students with a comprehensive overview of advanced finance topics and financial markets. This program is designed for individuals who want to gain a deep understanding of global finance, with a specific focus on corporate financial decision-making.
The curriculum of the MSF program includes:
- In-depth study of financial derivatives, securities analysis, and portfolio management
- Courses in international finance, corporate governance, and advanced quantitative methods
By completing this program, students will be equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue rewarding careers in finance, such as investment bankers or financial advisors. Join our program and unlock your potential in the world of finance at the University of Miami School of Business Administration!
14. University of Maryland:
The Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland offers an Online Master of Science in Financial Economics (MSFE) program. This program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive overview of financial economics and management, equipping them with the necessary skills for a successful career in the field.
The program’s curriculum is tailored to meet the needs of those who are interested in gaining a deep understanding of international finance, with a particular emphasis on macroeconomic policy. Students will have the opportunity to explore and master various topics, including:
- Asset pricing theory, which delves into the fundamental principles of valuing financial assets.
- Corporate finance, which focuses on the financial decision-making processes within corporations.
- Financial management, which covers the efficient management of financial resources within an organization.
- Capital markets, which examines the functioning and efficiency of financial markets.
- Portfolio management, which teaches students how to construct and manage investment portfolios.
- Advanced economic theory, which provides a deeper understanding of economic concepts and principles.
By completing this program, students will be well-prepared to pursue rewarding careers as asset managers or risk analysts, leveraging their expertise in financial economics. The program’s comprehensive curriculum and flexible online format make it an ideal choice for individuals looking to advance their knowledge and skills in the field of financial economics.
The Charles Widger School of Law at Villanova University offers an Online Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program that provides students with a comprehensive overview of finance and investment banking. The curriculum is tailored to those seeking to gain an in-depth understanding of financial markets, with a specific emphasis on capital structure decisions.
The program covers various topics, including:
- Debt and equity financing
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Derivatives trading
- Securities analysis
- Corporate finance
- Portfolio management
By completing this program, students will be equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to pursue rewarding careers as financial advisors or analysts. The Online MSF program at the Charles Widger School of Law at Villanova University is designed to empower individuals to excel in the dynamic field of finance.
16. Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis:
The Kelly School of Business offers a variety of online finance degree programs, giving students the chance to learn and grow in their field. Our program covers:
- Financial Accounting: Understand financial statements, accounts, and GAAP accounting principles.
- Financial Management: Master corporate finance fundamentals and financial market dynamics.
- Economics: Develop a strong grasp of macro- and microeconomics, including policy, forecasting, and econometrics.
- Quantitative Methods: Build quantitative skills for decision support and problem-solving in finance.
- Risk Management: Learn to manage financial risks through different strategies.
- Best Online Finance Degree Programs: Obtain the best online finance degree and excel in the financial sector.
- Regulatory Environment: Explore modern financial market regulations like Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank.
- Investment Analysis: Analyze different investments such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.
- International Finance: Understand capital flows between countries and the complexities of global finance.
- Corporate Governance: Investigate how boards oversee organizations, including ethical considerations.
- Career Options: Explore various finance career paths like banking, financial planning, and asset management.
Our program also offers practical experiences like field trips, case studies, internships, and other experiential learning opportunities to prepare you for success in the finance world.
Getting a degree in finance can open many doors and give you the edge you need in the competitive job market. With online learning options, it is now easier than ever to pursue an education in finance, no matter your current situation. A degree from the Kelly School of Business will give you the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the finance sector, as well as access to the career-oriented services of our alumni network. Make sure to explore all of your options and find a program that fits your needs and goals – you’ll be glad you did!
Q: Are online finance degree programs accredited?
Yes, many online finance degree programs are accredited. Make sure to research each program before applying and look for accreditation from organizations such as the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
Q: What are some career paths I can pursue with a degree in finance?
A degree in finance can open up many job opportunities, including banking and investment services, financial planning, insurance and risk management, corporate treasury positions, accounting and auditing roles, consulting jobs, and more. With this versatile degree program, you’ll be able to choose from many interesting and rewarding career paths.
Q: What resources are available to help me succeed in the finance world?
The Kelly School of Business offers several resources, including career counseling services, an online job board, professional development workshops, and more. Our alumni network is also a great resource for connecting with peers and mentors who can share their experiences and advice. Additionally, there are many other online resources available to help you succeed in the finance world, such as blogs, courses, and industry publications.
Q: How can I find the best program for me?
The best way to find an online finance degree program that meets your needs is to research each option thoroughly. Compare factors such as cost, duration of the program, course offerings, accreditation status, and job placement statistics to ensure you’re getting the best value for your money.
Q: What is the cost of an online finance degree?
The cost of an online finance degree can vary depending on a number of factors such as tuition rates, credits required to complete the program, and whether fees are charged for additional services. Generally, the cost of an online finance degree program is less than a traditional, on-campus program due to the flexibility and convenience of studying from home.